Let's make Kindness part of our new normal
Monday 18th May 2020 15:13
After 8 weeks of lockdown there is some light at the end of the tunnel and the government are discussing the schools and the churches opening again. But no one really thinks things will be going back to what they were before.
So, why don’t we choose? What would you like our “new normal” to be?
Last December Charlie Mackesy’s book “The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse” was the nation’s bestselling book and at least on twitter one of people’s favourite pages is “What do you want to be when you grow up?” “Kind” said the boy. And I am writing this article during Mental Health Awareness Week which has chosen “Kindness” as their theme for 2020.
So what is Kindness?
Kindness is “choosing to do something to help others” or perhaps kindness is “actions which show we care for others”. And the Mental Health Foundation says the benefits of kindness include:-
- Helping others makes us feel good
- Kindness creates a sense of belonging and reduces isolation
- Kindness helps keep things in perspective
- Kindness helps make the world a happier place
- The more we do for others, the more we do for ourselves
So let’s start now! It is never too soon to start showing kindness.
- Let’s call a friend we haven’t seen since lockdown
- Let’s offer to help with a neighbours shopping
- Let’s tell our family how much we love them
Let’s act now to make kindness part of our new normal, ready for when the lockdown ends.